Friday, February 26, 2016

National Tell a Fairy Tale Day

Grab a seat or gather around an open fire ...
Today is National Tell a Fairy Tale Day.

Photo courtesy of: www.mamawriteswords.wordpress.com

What's your favorite fairy tale?  I like Snow White by the Brothers Grimm.  In German, the title is written "Schneewittchen."  I remember reading it in high school German class.  I know most of you probably don't speak German, but I love the first sentence of this story written in German.  Don't fret!  I'll translate it after I give you the German words.  The story goes like this:

"Es war einmal mitten im Winter, und die Schneeflocken fielen wie Federn vom Himmel herab. Da saß eine Königin an einem Fenster, das einen Rahmen von schwarzem Ebenholz hatte, und nähte."

Here's the translation:

"Once upon a time in the middle of winter, when the flakes of snow were falling like feathers from the sky, a queen sat at a window sewing, and the frame of the window was made of black ebony."

It's pretty easy to see some of the German words that appear to translate naturally into English.  Let's take a phrase as an example:

"Die Schneeflocken fielen wie Federn vom Himmel herab" means, "The snowflakes were falling like feathers from heaven [the sky]."

There's alliteration with the repeated "f," and "h".  So beautiful!

If you'd like to read both the German and English versions side-by-side, you can follow this link:  Snow White

Yet, so many times it's hard to interpret--translate, really--the things people say and do.  Sometimes, I find myself standing back in a conversation and asking myself, What did he/she mean by that?  Words can have so many meanings, right?  In Greek, the word for "love" can be "eros," "philos" or "agape."  They each have different meanings.  So when you tell someone in Greek, "I love you," you're being specific about which "love" you mean.  "Eros" is romantic or attraction; "agape" is sacrificial love, and "philos" is brotherly love.  Wow!  But at least you know what you're dealing with if someone is specific, wouldn't you agree?  

When Moses asked God who He was, God told him:

Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh [I am/will be what I am/will be]" (Exodus 3:14).

God doesn't change.  That quality about Him is in his name.  "I am, will be what I am, and will always be."  What does that mean?  We can count on Him.  He's listening to us, knows our situations, and is walking with us through our trials.

Bye for today, and have a God-inspired day.  Maybe you can use this day to write your own fairy tale, or tell one of those classic tales to a child.

J.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment