Thursday, October 15, 2015

Chasing "things" never works

Yesterday, I was so busy taking care of my son that I couldn't find the time to post a new blog.  Some mornings, my 17-year-old son acts like a toddler.  He also believes "things" will make him feel better and bring him happiness.  Partly, his dad and I are at fault.  We bribe him with ... you got it: things.  

"Do your classwork, bring your grade back up to a C, and then we'll buy you a ____."
"Since your grade is a D, no downloading another game."

He likes computer gaming.

For the past two weeks, his new "thing" is a vaping tool.  No nicotine, nothing harmful.  He says, "Vaping relaxes me."  Let's see how long vaping will do that, right?

I told him, "You're putting things above God.  As long as you believe that things will bring you satisfaction, you'll always be hungering for the next thing."

When we get stuck on things, our best solution is lifting God above all things.

"You are great, Adonai, God. There is no one like you, and there is no God besides you — everything we have heard confirms that" 
(2 Samuel 7:22).

God is always the answer as well as the inspiration.  We can find Him in His word.  We simply have to open it up, read, and let Him in.  If only for a minute or two as we pursue all our things.  Then, we'll find rest and relief.  He'll give us rest, true comfort, and relief.

Bye for now, and have an inspirational day ...

J.P. Osterman

You can check out more daily inspirations in my new book:


And more of my novels and short stories at the following link:


No comments:

Post a Comment