Wednesday, January 27, 2016

How to Forgive?

You've gotten cuts, scrapes, or burns, right?  After a few days, they heal, right?

Emotional cuts, scrapes, and burns aren't the same.  And the people who do us harm sometimes leave, never seeming to pay the price.  What are we left with?  Cuts, scrapes, and burns!  What's the answer?

photo courtesy of: soulseeds.com

Whenever I get stuck in the steam bath of wrongs done to me in the past, I get stomach aches, headaches, and my mind won't stop spinning.  Meanwhile, the people I'm "thinking" about and what they "did" to me aren't even considering me.  They've moved on.  They're long gone.  So, it's time to move on from the hurt, right?  How?  That's why I selected the above quote.  It's an intervention tool I use to unstick my thoughts from the glue of the past and move forward with my day.  "Forgive them, even if they aren't sorry for what they've done [or are doing] to me, God, amen."  Remember the Lord's Prayer?  "Forgive us our sins," Jesus begins, "as we forgive those who sin against us."  With these words, forgiveness becomes a shield, protecting us from ourselves.  If we continue to ponder our hurts and those who have wounded us, we're really only hurting ourselves in the long run.  It then becomes an internal war, right?  

"Take up every piece of war equipment God provides," Paul says in Ephesians 6:12-13.

So, forgive!  Forgiveness is your war equipment.  Use it, and move on.

And have a God-inspired day today.  Until next time...

J.P. Osterman

You can read daily devotionals and receive daily encouragement in my book, God Designed: 360 Days of Inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment